The donations you guys are sending are coming from FundRazr on Facebook or through the donate button or the Paypal Donation Widget on my blog.
Since one or more of those options work for one person and not the other, I opened up three different ways to donate. The only downside is that you can't see a combined total amount of help that has been sent. I will personally add this up and try to update it as regularly as possible.
Here I would like to share with you all of the things that your donation money is helping with:
- Lawyer Fees - Currently a total of $3,540 USD
- Notary Fees - Currently a total of 166 TL
- Official Translator Fees - Currently a total of about 75-85 TL
- Accommodations + Food and Drink - Currently a total of 290 EURO (for a week)
- Wifi Internet Access in Hotel - 15 EURO per Week
- Telecommunications - Currently unable to gauge the total cost. I am forced to make international calls due to my situation and as of right now, I have no idea how much they are costing. They are a necessary expense. Also, I am currently working on getting a prepaid phone in Turkey in order to cut down on costs for communications here within the country. As of right now, I am using a German Cell Phone which applies international charges.
- Travel - In order to reach the official offices as required by my legal situation, I must travel from my hotel into various parts of the city either by taxi or by bus. Bus isn't always possible but is used at every opportunity. I have been renegotiating taxi fares so that I'm not scammed by a faulty cab meter. This is another accumulating cost that I am not able to track well but I will give an example. Yesterday from my hotel to three different offices to include a translator and the notary and then back to my hotel cost me approximately 100 TL.
- Toiletries and Essentials - due to the unplanned nature of the separation of my wife and I, our luggage was not sorted so that each suitcase contained everything needed for survival. It turns out that I had to purchase many things like shaving razors, shampoo, deodorant, socks and underwear, and even another shirt. Also I have purchased soap to be able to wash my limited amount of clothing in my bath tub.
- Possible Legal Fine - dependent upon the court decision, I face the possibility of a fine. This fine could be minor but also very hefty. There's currently no way of knowing how much it will be if I am fined.
- Return Flight to My Home - My original return flight ticket was wasted. It has no reuse value and so once I am allowed to return home, I must purchase a new flight ticket. According to the Airberlin website, this flight could cost betwen $170-$255 depending on which day I fly.
- Time Specific Possible Costs - If my case extends beyond next week (26 April 2013), I will have no remaining vacation days. At this time my company has informed me that I would be allowed to take unpaid vacation. If this happens, then all of our everyday cost of living will rely on donated funds until I can return to work.
I will list several charities to include the Army Emergency Relief fund and I will have supporters vote to which charity they would like to send the remainder of the funds. I have also considered finding a way to split the remainder of the funds between relief actions for the families of the victims in Boston and the accident in Texas.